Guidelines for the Authors
ICMC 2016 solicits both teaching and non – teaching (research) cases. Both types carry a different structure, style of writing and purpose.
The authors are required first to submit a case abstract, irrespective of the type of the case, to evaluate its compatibility with the aims of the conference. Case Abstract is a one page statement and is structured as under:
- Names of Authors and affiliations
- The name, affiliation, email of the corresponding author
- Who will attend the conference
- Type of Case : Teaching / Research
- Name of the Organization for which the case is written
- Focus / objectives of the Case
Structure of a Teaching Case
- Abstract (100-150 words). Bring out focus, aim of the case, and the audience for whom it is meant
- Keywords ( 5-7 words)
- Mention the courses in management curricula for which the case can be for teaching
- Indicate minimum two Course Intended Learning Outcomes which can be achieved by discussing the case
- In the Opening paragraph: Bring out main issues, context within which the case occurs. Introduce protagonists
- Body should cover: Story in chronological order, back ground, quote views
- In the Concluding paragraph: Short synthesis of the case, questions, issues for students
- In a teaching case there is no place for literature review
- Teaching notes: In a separate file, Separated from the paper to provide authors understanding of the issues. The teaching notes are not published.
Evaluation parameters for particularly a Teaching Case
An ideal teaching case should demonstrate following features:
- Culmination of the content in a dilemmatic situation created through debate in the text so that students in the class can start thinking for solution
- Identification and relevance of protagonist should be clear in the first few lines
- Unambiguous identification of issues to be resolved
- Reasonable level of dramatisation component in the narration of the case
- Strong relationship between the questions posed at the end of the case and the content
The Teaching note will be evaluated on following aspects:
- Quality of suggested solutions
- Appropriateness of suggested ways to engage students
- Adequacy of time estimate for the case
Structure of a Research (Non-Teaching) Case
- Abstract (100-150 words). Bring out the objectives, the research methodology adopted and major results.
- Key words ( 5-7 words)
- Opening paragraphs : Organization, Problems, Issues, Need for study
- Objectives: List them and, if necessary, derive hypotheses
- Avoid extensive literature review
- Research methodology: Participants, Sampling method and size, Methods of data collection, and analyses, steps to ensure reliability and validity
- Analyses and Results
- Theoretical Contributions and Managerial Implications
For both types, authors should ensure:
- Citation of relevant literature in the paper. The citation in the text and bibliography must match. Use APA 6 style and total word limit is 5000 including references.
- Each Table and figure must be numbered as per APA 6 style and must carry headings.
- Source of information must appear at the bottom of each table/graph/figure
- There is no infringement of existing copyrights or indulgence in plagiarism.
- A check by Turnitin should produce a similarity index of less than 20%
- Authors must have written permission for reproducing tables, figures, graphics, or excerpts of more than 400 words. Anything freely available on a web site or in the published documents of the company does not imply that it is free to use. Author must obtain formal written permission to use copyrighted material.
Evaluation parameters for both Teaching and Research types of cases
- Originality of the work
- Scholarly relevance
- Professional/industry relevance
- Completeness of the work
- Acknowledgement of the work of others
- Organization of the manuscript
- Clarity in writing, tables, graphs and illustrations
- Is the treatment of the subject in the paper plausible and free of technical errors?
- Are you aware of prior publication or presentation of this work?
- Is the manuscript free of personal views and eulogizing the organization?
- Does the paper require permission for publication from the case organization?
ICMC does not accept disguised cases. Cases written on a particular firm with primary data will require written ‘Consent to publish’ on the firm’s letter head signed by an authorized manager.